Weekly Writing Prompt

Find an ad from a newspaper or magazine that features a person and a slogan of some kind—the crazier the ad, the better. It’s important to find an ad with a slogan that indicates some kind of desire. The slogan becomes the title and the person featured in the ad, the main character.

Create a story with this character, focused on this desire. Ask yourself questions like: Why does this character have this desire? How does he or she plan to achieve this desire? Try to also incorporate the title into the story either in dialogue or in exposition.

To view some sample ads, click here.

Follow Me

Superstition Review

Superstition Review is the online literary magazine produced by creative writing and web design students at Arizona State University. The mission of our journal is to promote contemporary art and literature by providing a free, easy-to-navigate, high quality online publication that features work by established and emerging artists and authors from all over the world. We publish two issues a year with art, fiction, interviews, nonfiction and poetry.
Follow Me

Latest posts by Superstition Review (see all)

3 thoughts on “Weekly Writing Prompt

• March 24, 2009 at 1:33 pm
    Permalink

This is such a fun idea! Thanks for the tip.

Reply
  • March 25, 2009 at 9:20 am
    Permalink

I think this is such a great idea. It can be fun and creative especially with many programs featured in photo shop and so forth. I’m going to try this idea. Thanks

Reply
  • March 25, 2009 at 4:19 pm
    Permalink

Awesome prompt! I will try this. I’ll write something and post it as a comment to the blog posting. Thanks. I have something fun to do when I have free time. Keep the prompts coming, please.

Reply