Meet the Interns: Chris Schmidt, Interview Coordinator

Chris Schmidt is a Literature, Writing, and Film student at ASU’s Polytechnic campus set to graduate in December 2010.

Superstition Review: What is your position with Superstition Review and what are your responsibilities?

Chris Schmidt: As Interview Coordinator, my responsibilities revolve around coordinating and managing the author interviews. This includes maintenance of prospect spreadsheet; solicitation of interviews; collection of responses, bios, and photographs; and transfer of all content for publication.

SR: How did you hear about Superstition Review and what made you decide to get involved?

CS: I heard about Superstition Review in my beginning creative fiction workshop last semester, and about that time I was thinking of publishing as an area I’d like to learn more about. I was more than thrilled to be accepted in the internship!

SR: What are you hoping to take away from your Superstition Review experience?

CS: From my Superstition Review experience, I’m hoping to take away a working knowledge of all the elements that go into the production of a literary magazine, and then bring that expertise into the job market.

SR: Describe one of your favorite literary or artistic works.

CS: My (new) favorite literary work is anything written by author Dan Chaon, particularly Passengers, Remain Calm.

SR: What are you currently reading?

CS: I am currently reading Philip Dick’s Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? for a Literature on Film class I’m taking this semester.

SR: What other position(s) for Superstition Review would you like to try out?

CS: I’d be interested in trying out any of the other positions for Superstition Review in order to achieve a well-rounded background in the publication process.

SR: Do you prefer reading literary magazines online or in print?

CS: I’m not picky…either online or print depending on where I am at the time.

SR: Besides interning for Superstition Review, how do you spend your time?

CS: Besides interning for Superstition Review, my time is spent as wife to my husband of 21 years, mother of a teenage daughter and three felines, as well as a part-time transcriptionist and full-time student with more credits than I should be taking in one semester.

SR: What is your favorite mode of relaxation?

CS: One word: reading!

SR: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

CS: That’s a fun question…I had to answer that 25 years ago as a high school graduate, and back then one of my three goals was to become a “famous author.” I achieved one of my other two goals, so I’ll stick with that one, trade out the little red Ferrari for a black Jaguar, and add publishing/editing guru to the vision.

Follow Me

Superstition Review

Superstition Review is the online literary magazine produced by creative writing and web design students at Arizona State University. The mission of our journal is to promote contemporary art and literature by providing a free, easy-to-navigate, high quality online publication that features work by established and emerging artists and authors from all over the world. We publish two issues a year with art, fiction, interviews, nonfiction and poetry.
Follow Me

4 thoughts on “Meet the Interns: Chris Schmidt, Interview Coordinator

• March 29, 2010 at 7:58 am
    Permalink

Superstition Review is lucky to have Chris. She’s been an outstanding student in several of my classes and as a former adviser to Superstition Review, I’d be hard pressed to think of anyone that I would rather work with.

Reply
  • March 29, 2010 at 8:03 am
    Permalink

Wow,–mom, wife, school, SR–I admire you immensely. Has your daughter nominated you for “mom-of-the-century” yet?…haha:) Great getting to know you, Chris!

Reply
  • April 1, 2010 at 4:01 pm
    Permalink

Chris is the best. To accomplish all that she has, I fully believe she is must be part robot.

Reply
  • April 2, 2010 at 11:58 am
    Permalink

She is a good role model and always has been a good writer!

Reply