Meet The Interns: Rebecca Glenn

Rebecca Glenn is looking forward to the challenge of contributing to the publishing process at Superstition Review. Her experiences in upper-division class work have inspired and encouraged her to consider a career in publishing. She is thrilled to have an opportunity to experience the field first-hand through Superstition Review.

Superstition Review: What is your position with Superstition Review and what are your responsibilities?

Rebecca Glenn: I am an Art Editor and I am responsible for soliciting art submissions from local and national artists. I also make decisions on art to include in the issue and then I correspond with artists to facilitate its publication.

SR: Why did you decide to get involved with Superstition Review?

RG: I took a class on publishing in literary magazines with Trish Murphy and my interests stemmed from that experience. I have always been drawn to the publishing process, but it wasn’t until I took the class that I was educated on what exactly literary magazines are.

SR: Besides interning for Superstition Review, how do you spend your time?

RG: I’m a homebody with a traveling streak. I love to cook and goof around with my two girls. We do a lot of drawing, art projects and impromptu dance parties.

SR: What other position(s) for Superstition Review would you like to try out?

RG: Nonfiction is my passion. It would be exciting to be the nonfiction editor. I also really like the idea of being a reader.

SR: Describe one of your favorite literary works.

RG: Madelene L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time is a personal favorite. There are certain creations, like A Wrinkle in Time, that are beyond category and that is part of the appeal to me. Most would say it is a children’s novel and yet I read it again a couple weeks ago and was entranced.

SR: What are you currently reading?

RG: I like to spend summers re-reading books from my childhood. I was addicted to reading in my youth and my summer days were almost always monopolized by a book and a cool spot in the shade. Since we are just coming out of the summer months now, I most recently finished the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

SR: Creatively, what are you currently working on?

RG: I paint sporadically and also dabble in charcoal. I am constantly drawing. I just finished a charcoal portrait of my mother for her 50th birthday. It is such a momentous celebration and I spent a lot of time trying to capture the years of her life in a single expression; it was tough. As far as writing goes, most of it is academic these days due to my school schedule.

SR: Where do you see yourself in 10years?

RG: That is the big question…I’m not so concerned with knowing. I can say with all confidence I have no idea; maybe a pig farmer in Peru.

Follow Me

Superstition Review

Superstition Review is the online literary magazine produced by creative writing and web design students at Arizona State University. The mission of our journal is to promote contemporary art and literature by providing a free, easy-to-navigate, high quality online publication that features work by established and emerging artists and authors from all over the world. We publish two issues a year with art, fiction, interviews, nonfiction and poetry.
Follow Me

Latest posts by Superstition Review (see all)

6 thoughts on “Meet The Interns: Rebecca Glenn

• September 10, 2010 at 11:01 am
    Permalink

I completely agree that “A Wrinkle in Time” is in a category by itself…It might be classified as a children’s book, but the quality and depth of the writing makes it appropriate for such a wider audience. It’s truly a wonderful piece of literature, and I too am entranced every time I read it. I think the book should be a required read for college students:)

Reply
  • September 11, 2010 at 2:56 pm
    Permalink

Another children’s book that I have always found timeless is Dr. Seuss’s “Oh the Places You’ll Go.” I think of it most often when I find myself in “the waiting place,” which is more often than not.

Reply
  • September 13, 2010 at 1:05 am
    Permalink

There is something intriguing about the idea of pig farming in Peru.

Reply
  • September 14, 2010 at 3:09 pm
    Permalink

I can’t think of a better trilogy to spend a summer with your nose in than Lord Of The Rings.

Reply
  • September 14, 2010 at 11:34 pm
    Permalink

Madelene L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time is one of my favorites too! I haven’t read it in awhile so it is definitely on my list of books to reread! I remember the first time I read it I was a little too young to completely understand what was going on, but I loved it anyway. It only got better with time : D

Reply
  • September 21, 2010 at 11:13 pm
    Permalink

I’m with you in that I really like the idea of being a reader of The Superstition Review 🙂

Reply