Writing Workshops with Mary Sojourner

Pima Community College West Campus is hosting a wide array of weekend writing workshops ranging from Memoir Crafting to Poetry Workshops. Led by authors and professional writers, these workshops offer an opportunity to get hands-on experience and explore a variety of creative writing topics.

On April 13-15, Mary Sojourner, Issue 3 contributor, will lead the in-depth writing workshop, w(Rite): A Workshop in Deep Writing and Craft. The workshop will feature exercises and activities that help writers craft and “move personal writing into publishable work.”

Mary Sojourner is the author of novels Sisters of the Dream and Going Through Ghosts, and short story collection, Delicate. Sojourner is also known for her essay collection Bonelight: ruin and grace in the New Southwest and memoirs, Solace: rituals of loss and desire and She Bets Her Life. She has appeared as a commentator on NPR and teaches writing at colleges, universities, writing conferences, and privately. You can read her blog at marysojourner.com, or the November SR interview with Sojourner here.

If you’re looking to hone your craft or gather tools to eliminate your writer’s block, check out Writing Workshop Spring 2012 at Pima Community College.

Mary Sojourner

Mary Sojourner's new short story collection, The Talker, comes out from Torrey House Press in March 2017. She is the author of three novels: Sisters of the Dream , Going Through Ghosts and 29; the short story collection, Delicate,  essay collection, Bonelight: ruin and grace in the New Southwest, Bonelight: rituals of loss and desire; two memoirs, She Bets Her Life and Solace. She reviews books for KNAU’s Southwest Reviews. She’s the author of op eds and columns for High Country News, Yoga Journal, Writers on the Range, Matador Network and dozens of other publications. She was chosen as a Distinguished Writer in Residence in 2007 by the Virginia C. Piper Center for Creative Writing, ASU.

She believes in both the limitations and possibilities of healing. Writing is the most powerful tool she has found for doing what is necessary to mend - oneself and the greater world.

Website: http://www.breakthroughwriting.net

5 thoughts on “Writing Workshops with Mary Sojourner

• January 25, 2012 at 3:36 pm
    Permalink

Mary Sojourner was so much fun to talk to when she came and did a reading for us last semester. She had me thinking for days about some of the insight she shared with us about contemporary life. I really wish I didn’t work weekends so I could go to this workshop!

Reply
  • January 27, 2012 at 12:43 am
    Permalink

Mary Sojouner has a remarkable presence. I really enjoyed her reading last semester too, and I love her writing!

Reply
  • January 27, 2012 at 2:50 am
    Permalink

Would love to attend Mary’s writing workshop as well. After reading her interview with Jake Adler, I would just to love to hear her say more about her relationship with writing. I’d like to hear her thoughts on writing as a “possession” and a “torment.” I feel like I can relate.

Reply
  • February 7, 2012 at 2:44 am
    Permalink

Me too!!

Reply
  • February 8, 2012 at 3:08 pm
    Permalink

Mary Sojourner is my idol!

She was so much fun to talk to when she came and did a reading for us last semester. She had me thinking for days about some of the insight she shared with us about contemporary life. I really wish I didn’t work weekends so I could go to this workshop!

Reply