Authors Talk: Cathy Ulrich

Today we are pleased to feature Cathy Ulrich as our Authors Talk series contributor as she answers interview questions regarding her new book Ghosts of You.

Her book is a collection of flash fiction stories that aim to subvert the trope of victimized women in the mystery and crime genres by telling the real stories of her female characters. She wished to go against the way the genre commonly “takes the humanity away from the woman, makes her a plot point.” She also discusses her inspiration for the book as well as her experience with writing it. Ghosts of You will be Cathy’s first book and she notes that she is “so incredibly lucky” to have the opportunity to have it published.

Cathy’s book is available for pre-order here and will be officially released on October 15th!

You can also read Cathy’s work in Issue 18 of Superstition Review.

Follow Me

Superstition Review

Superstition Review is the online literary magazine produced by creative writing and web design students at Arizona State University. The mission of our journal is to promote contemporary art and literature by providing a free, easy-to-navigate, high quality online publication that features work by established and emerging artists and authors from all over the world. We publish two issues a year with art, fiction, interviews, nonfiction and poetry.
Follow Me

Latest posts by Superstition Review (see all)

3 thoughts on “Authors Talk: Cathy Ulrich

• October 9, 2019 at 5:14 pm
    Permalink

I think it’s an amazing feeling to be proud of having your work being published as a book for the first time. I think I’m considering of buying as a birthday gift for myself and read it. SInce it’s being released on my birthday. Therefore, when I went to the link to purchase the book, I really liked the art cover for the book. Who ever is the artist for the cover, they did a fantastic job. Also, I’m done with anything that involves mystery and crime.

Reply
  • October 15, 2019 at 2:48 pm
    Permalink

I’m intrigued by the premise. I never really considered how often we ignore the murder or accident that always sets up a crime or mystery novel. It does seem to always just become a plot point rather than it’s own story as it should.

Reply
  • October 16, 2019 at 10:02 am
    Permalink

I LOVE the subject matter of this collection. Writing women as human characters, rather than plot devices, is so important and often overlooked. I used to watch a lot of true crime television and was always disturbed by how sensationalized murders of women were, and how the shows only focused on the ‘drama’ of the case and not the lives of the women. Looking forward to reading this collection!

Reply