The ASU Book Group’s September 2019 reading selection is “By the Forces of Gravity” by Rebecca Fish Ewan. The book group is open to all in the ASU community and meets monthly from noon–1 p.m. in the Piper Writers House on ASU’s Tempe campus. Haven’t read the book? Come anyway! Authors are always present. A no-host luncheon follows at the University Club.
Ewan’s illustrated coming-of-age memoir, set in 1970s Berkeley, Calif., reflects on a childhood friendship cut short by tragedy. In an era of laissez-faire parenting, she drops out of elementary school and takes up residence in a kids commune—no parents allowed!—and we follow her, bestie Luna, and their hippie cohorts as they search for love, acceptance, and cosmic truths. Full of adventure and heartache.
The book is available from amazon.com.
Rebecca Fish Ewan is associate professor of landscape architecture in the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts. Ewan received her MFA in creative writing from ASU in 2004.
The ASU Book Group meetings and selections for 2019-2020 are:
- Sep. 18 – Rebecca Fish Ewan, “By the Forces of Gravity”
- Oct. 23 – Keith Miller and Renee Billups Baker, “My Life with Charles Billups and Martin Luther King”
- Nov. 20 – Eduardo Obregón Pagán, “Valley of the Guns”
- Dec. 18 – Gary L. Stuart, “Call Him Mac”
- Jan. 29 – Shahla Talebi, “Ghosts of Revolution”
- Feb. 26 – Adrienne Celt, “Invitation to a Bonfire” (tentative)
- Mar. 25 – Joey Eschrich and Clark A. Miller, “The Weight of Light”
- Apr. 29 – Kelly deVos, “Fat Girl on a Plane”
The ASU Book Group is sponsored as a community outreach initiative by the Department of English and organized in partnership with the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing.
Contact: Judith Smith
Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2019
Location: Piper Writers House, 400 E. Tyler Mall, Tempe
Price: Free of charge and open to the public
For more information, click here.
Latest posts by Superstition Review (see all)
- #ArtLitPhx: Bilingual Conversation and Reading with Dolores Dorantes - September 16, 2019
- Contributor Update, Megan Harlan - September 14, 2019
- #ArtLitPhx: Jacqueline Woodson’s Red at the Bone - September 13, 2019