The Grief Manuscript: An Interview with Frankie Rollins and Eric Aldrich

An Authors Talk

“The one thing I always know is mine is my artwork…my writing life…”

During her divorce in 2017, Frankie Rollins began creating her most recent work: The Grief Manuscript, as both a “compulsive and cathartic” way to channel the grief she found herself experiencing.

As humans, we are no stranger to grief—it can come in many shapes and forms, and it often affects us in ways we cannot predict. Oftentimes, we see grief as a negative experience, but, during this raw and vulnerable podcast, Frankie shares how grief can produce beautiful things—if we let it.

Frankie also discusses the power that art and writing provided her with in overcoming grief and turning it into a project that propelled and inspired her.

This Authors Talk with Frankie Rollins and Eric Aldrich is a rejuvenating, gentle (and much needed) reminder that though we may feel the grief of what we have lost, we can always hold onto the one thing that will always be ours—art.

Learn more about Frankie at her website.

Learn more about Eric at his website.

Follow Me
Latest posts by Superstition Review (see all)

5 thoughts on “The Grief Manuscript: An Interview with Frankie Rollins and Eric Aldrich

• September 24, 2020 at 5:59 pm
    Permalink

I love how Frankie was able to use her grief and put that energy into art, it’s such a great outlet!

Reply
  • September 27, 2020 at 9:14 pm
    Permalink

I thought the story she told about the dreams where there were biopsies of emotion and her story about the little notes about her grief were very interesting ways of reaction to and coping with her grief. I also thought that her taking shelter in her writing to get back to life was particularly interesting

Reply
  • September 27, 2020 at 9:43 pm
    Permalink

I am really glad that Rollins was able to find a catharsis in the art that she produced at the time of her divorce. We all deserve peaceful ways to deal with our grief and struggles. I think that we could all learn a little something from people like her, who put their energy into making something beautiful out of bad things.

Reply
  • September 28, 2020 at 12:07 pm
    Permalink

I’ve always found it inspiring when people are able to turn something bad that happened in their lives into something good- just seeing the beauty even in grief, and turning it into art. I think works like Rollins’ can help others with their own troubles go through their grieving processes and perhaps create their own art.

Reply
  • September 30, 2020 at 4:27 pm
    Permalink

Everyone deals with grief differently, and it was so interesting to hear about Rollins and her ability to see beauty even in moments of grief!

Reply